Thursday, September 11, 2014

What is a Thermomix?

So you’ve heard all the hype but still have no idea what a Thermomix is and why on earth you would pay the best part of $2000 for one. Basically a Thermomix will replace a lot of the appliances you have in your kitchen and it will do a better and quicker job. Designed in Germany and made in France they are not just the latest fad and have been around for more than 40 years.

A Thermomix will chop, beat, mix, emulsify, mill, knead, blend, cook, stir, steam and weigh almost anything you can think of.

Plus hands free cooking: add all the ingredients turn it on and walk away.

“What about cleaning it?” I hear you ask, “I bet it’s a pain”. Well no, it’s not. You simply give it a quick rinse, add some water and a drop of dish washing liquid, and pulse on turbo for a few seconds. Then rinse it out again – ta da – clean. I’m not kidding.

There are three types of cooking you can do with your Thermomix:
1. Manual cooking - where you are in total control and adjust all the settings yourself
2. Guided cooking - with the onboard recipe chip, the new touch screen allows you to follow step by step instructions telling you exactly how to make all 180 recipes in the Basic Cook Book
3. Automated cooking (custard, yoghurt and rice) – the Thermomix will tell you exactly what ingredients to add, then you start it and walk away

So why do I want to buy one? I want to save money and be more healthy by cooking things from scratch. Also, I want to eat less takeaways, and I believe the Thermomix will make cooking meals less laborious and more exciting. I have heard others say that their children cook with it too - this excites me to get my kids involved with cooking. The first things on my list to cook when I get my Thermomix are bread, butter, custard, risotto, yoghurt and mashed potatoes (I’ve heard they are the best).

This really does sum it up, but I think you have to see it to believe it. So we will see. I’ve ordered mine…

For further reading check out these articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment